Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bu-Soms sa sarap!

Thai food is known to be spicy with a balance of the main tastes--spicy, sweet, sour and salty. And there's no better place to sample authentic and affordable Thai cuisine than in Som's Noodle House located at Algier Street (parallel of Rockwell Dr.--not an easy place to look for).


First thing you should know about Som's is that they have the worst service but the best Thai food in town. The waitresses are aloof and didn't even give us a menu unless we asked for one. Anyway, here are some of their yummy dishes.

Tofu and bean sprouts (PHP 120)

First up, the tofu and bean sprouts is in my opinion prepared thoughtlessly with the spring onions cut only in half. Although I'm not sure if this is really prepared this way. The soft but firm tofu and the crunchy bean sprouts makes it a dish to cancel out the spiciness of the other foods.

Shrimp Fried Rice (PHP 180)

This I really like. =) There were three big prawns hidden in this treasure, three big prawns! I was delighted to eat the prawns and was even delighted with the affordable price. Tomatoes, onions and egg is also mixed in the dish and topped with chopped spring onions plus ground black pepper. They also have other kinds of rice like bagoong rice.

Yellow Curry Pork (PHP 150)

You cannot go to Som's and not order their curry, you simply cannot. I am not a fan of curry but I found myself mesmerized with its spices. They have yellow, green and red curry available with the red one as the hottest. We ordered the yellow one since I can't take a lot of heat from foods. This is also garnished with tomatoes which I was pleased to see since I love tomatoes!

Green Curry Shrimp (PHP 150)

The next to the yellow curry with its mild hotness. We tried the shrimp kind but it didn't wasn't really hot just spicy. The color wasn't too appetizing but it had a generous amount of shrimp and vegetables in it and was just as good as yellow curry.

Red Curry Duck (PHP 150)

If you like it real hot, you should try their red curry. This is the really spicy and hot one. We ordered the red curry duck and I loved it! I can't tolerate too much hot food but this one I loved! I didn't put a lot of the sauce in my rice though. But the duck was so tender which makes this dish a winner! Next time I'll try the yellow curry duck.

Garlic Chicken (PHP 150)

From spicy, we turn to salty taste of Soms' Garlic Chicken. This is a combination of salty and sweet with bits of garlic in the dish. The curry that we ordered overpowered the taste of this dish but it was pretty good.

Thai Milk Tea (PHP 40)

To cool off your spicy taste buds, they serve Thai tea in plastic bottles. It looks like the plastic bottles are re-used from mineral water bottle but I hope not. This is yummy when partnered with their dishes but I found the taste not so appealing when I drank it the next day at the office.

Phad Thai (PHP 150)

Lastly, we ordered Phad Thai for take-out. Phad Thai is flat noodles that is somewhat sweet and sour with some kind of crushed chicharon as topping. I didn't really appreciate the taste of this dish, but hey, maybe it's just me. I would definitely go back here to try their chicken pandan, crab cakes and duck yellow curry!

2 comments:

  1. Try Muang Thai located in banawe. It's much better than soms I swear :) lalo na yung ambiance.

    ReplyDelete