Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Detox Your Life


In a fast-paced world that we live in, stress is no stranger to us. We sometimes even embrace it as part of our lives. I remember the time when I was so stressed that my heart was palpitating for a day. It didn't even bothered me since I had a lot of work to do, I just ignored it. That was when I put my work first over everything else. (Talk about wrong priorities!)

B1G Nights introduces a 7-part series on work-life balance entitled 'Making It Work'. The first topic is about detoxifying oneself from stress. Let me share to you some points that I picked out from Pastor Bong's message.

What are the problems with worry?

1. Worrying is unhelpful. Have you ever heard of the saying that worrying is like a rocking chair, it never gets us anywhere. In short, worrying never solved a problem. I liked the quote mentioned in the talk, 'We can't change the past and we can't control the future' so why do we need to worry?

2. Worrying is unreasonable. Why on earth would you worry when you can pray?

3. Worrying is unhealthy. A very good example is the palpitations I had because of stress. Stress can also makes us age faster. Do not worry if you want to stay young. ;p


You may be thinking 'i can't help it but to worry' or 'what can i do besides worrying?'. Pastor Bong tells us the cure to worry.

Believe that God will take care of me.

And that's the truth. According to Psalm23:1 'The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need.' Since God is our shepherd, He is the one that:

- provides for our daily needs
- protects us from danger/evil
- guides our path
- corrects us if we sin

When we trust in the Lord and depend on Him, we will surely see that the truths above happening in our life. We should let go and let God work everything for good.

"And my God will meet all your needs according to His glorious riches in Christ Jesus."
- Philippians 4:19

Our faith in Him plays a big role in this and our belief can be expressed in simple ABC:

A - admit that you are in need of a shepherd. We need to acknowledge that God is the one who is in control of our life. If you will be able to understand everything in this universe, then you can be in control. But since we are not God, we should leave it up to Him to work in our life.

In Matthew 6:33, it says 'Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well'. What God wants for us is beyond what we could ever hope for so there is no reason for us not to trust in God.

B - bring all your concerns to you shepherd. It is commanded to us not to worry. If you find yourself worrying, that's ok but be sure to bring all our worries to God and He will surely take care of you.

"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
- Philipians 4:6-7

C - concentrate at one day at a time.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
- Matthew 6:34

Have a worry-free life! To God be the glory! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment